December 4, 2019
During the holidays and all year long, millions of individuals and families who struggle against hunger are able to access healthy food with support from the federal nutrition programs. To celebrate the nation’s nutrition safety net, FRAC has created a seven-part “Remember This December” series that will highlight the impact of seven important federal nutrition programs.
This is the first installment of the series, which focuses on afterschool meals.
When the bell marking the end of the school day rings, far too many children return home to empty cupboards. The Afterschool Nutrition Programs provide healthy meals and snacks to children to ensure they are fed after school, on weekends, and during school holidays. Learn more about afterschool meals below:
- Afterschool meals matter for children across the country: In October 2018, 1.3 million children received an afterschool supper and 1.5 million children received a snack on an average school day.
- Afterschool meal participation is growing: A growing number of children are receiving healthy afterschool meals because more schools, city agencies, private nonprofits, and others are operating the Afterschool Nutrition Programs.
- Afterschool meals fuel children’s minds and bodies: School-aged children have a higher daily intake of fruits, vegetables, milk, and key nutrients, such as calcium and vitamin A, on days they eat afterschool meals compared to days they do not.
- Afterschool meals support the growth of afterschool programs: Afterschool meals and snacks are combined with educational and enrichment activities offered at schools, community and recreation centers, Boys & Girls Clubs, YMCAs, and other locations — which keep children safe, learning, and engaged while their parents work.
- Afterschool meals help to keep children fed all year: Beyond afterschool hours, breakfast, lunch, or supper along with a snack can be served on weekends and during school holidays and breaks to children age 18 and under, helping to keep children fed 365 days year.
Click to tweet: #RememberThisDecember that hunger is solvable with the federal nutrition programs, including the Afterschool Nutrition Programs! Learn more about the impact of afterschool meals w/ @fractweets latest blog: https://bit.ly/2LkKo8H
Watch our video on the importance of the federal nutrition programs.