State Legislation to Expand and Strengthen School Meals
States have passed a variety of legislation to increase school breakfast participation. Top performing states in School Breakfast:
- Require all or some schools to offer free breakfast after the bell;
- Eliminate the reduced-price copay, allowing students in that category to eat for free without any payment from their families; and
- Provide additional state funding to support the program.
Additionally, states have started introducing legislation to create Free School Meals for All and increase the use of the Community Eligibility Provision.
FRAC’s School Meals State Legislation Chart captures all state legislation passed to date that seeks to improve or expand the school nutrition programs.
State Legislation to Expand and Strengthen Out-of-School Time Meals
States have also passed legislation to increase participation in the Afterschool and Summer Nutrition Programs. Some states have chosen to:
- Mandate some or all schools to participate in the programs;
- Provide additional funding for the programs; or
- Require state agencies to create and implement plans to increase participation in the programs.
FRAC’s Afterschool and Summer Nutrition State Legislation Chart tracks all of the state legislation passed to date that seeks to improve or expand the Afterschool and Summer Nutrition Programs.