March 6, 2023
March 6–10 is National School Breakfast Week, a weeklong celebration recognizing the critical role school breakfast plays in students’ health and learning. Research shows that school breakfast improves children’s nutrition, attendance, behavior, and academic performance; however, far too many students still miss this vital morning meal.
The last few years have proven that Healthy School Meals for All, paired with Breakfast After the Bell, is the winning recipe for success. Offering breakfast to all students at no cost and moving breakfast service from the cafeteria to the classroom increases student participation and ensures they start their day ready to learn. School breakfast expansion strategies combat the multitude of barriers children face when trying to access school breakfast, including rushed morning schedules, late or unreliable buses, and social stigmas associated with participation.
Celebrate the benefits of nutritious school breakfasts with the Food Research & Action Center (FRAC) this week by:
- recognizing School Breakfast Champions in your community;
- celebrating all there is to love about school breakfast;
- supporting the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s proposed updates to the school nutrition standards;
- exploring current research on the reach of school meals; and
- advocating for Healthy School Meals for All.
Visit FRAC’s National School Breakfast Week Resources for tips and tools, including a sample social media toolkit, to use in your celebrations. Don’t forget to tag @fractweets on Twitter and @fracgram on Instagram so that your message can be amplified!