This fact sheet features graphics and information on “SNAP Action Needed:”
1. Congress should protect and strengthen SNAP — no cuts, block grants, or structural changes.
2. Congress should strengthen SNAP by passing H.R. 1276 — the “Closing the Meal Gap Act” of 2017 to:
- Base SNAP benefit allotments on the more adequate Low-Cost Food Plan;
- Boost SNAP benefits for families with children forced to choose between food and shelter;
- Boost SNAP benefits for older Americans forced to choose between food and medicine;
- Boost the SNAP minimum monthly benefit to $25 per month; and
- Ensure that jobless adults are offered employment and training opportunities before time limiting their SNAP benefits.