On August 29, Hurricane Ida made landfall, 16 years to the day since Hurricane Katrina. FRAC is monitoring the situation and is working with our partners in the region to help ensure those in the path of the storm can still access the nutrition they need.
See below for announcements and outreach materials.
- White House Declarations
- White House Remarks to the Press
- US Department of Agriculture, Food and Nutrition ServicesOn September 5, 2021, USDA approved Louisiana’s requests to issue automatic mass replacement benefits to SNAP households and to extend time to seek replacements for regular SNAP and Emergency Allotments.
USDA Press Release on August 27 encouraging agriculture producers and residents to prepare for Hurricane Ida.
- FEMA Updates
- Disaster SNAPOn September 29, 2021, USDA extended the Disaster SNAP application period for households in parishes hard hit by Hurricane Ida.In the wake of Hurricane Ida, on September 25, 2021, USDA extended the time for LA SNAP households to purchase hot prepared foods.
On September 14, 2021, USDA approved Louisiana’s request to operate Disaster SNAP in 25 parishes hit hard by Hurricane Ida. https://www.fns.usda.gov/disaster/louisiana-disaster-nutrition-assistance. The state also has the authority to issue automatic mass replacement benefits for SNAP households in 18 parishes.
On September 1, 2021, USDA approved Louisiana’s use of the Emergency Food Assistance Program (TEFAP) foods for a disaster household distribution program to serve 800,000 individuals in 20 parishes hard hit by Hurricane Ida through September 30 or until Disaster SNAP is implemented.
- Office of Governor Edwards
- Department of Child and Family Services
- USDA Approvals for LouisianaIn the wake of Hurricane Ida, on August 31, 2021, USDA approved the purchase of hot prepared foods with SNAP benefits for households in Louisiana through September 28, 2021. If might take 24 to 36 hours for SNAP retailers to make systems changes to allow SNAP purchases of hot prepared foods.
- Additional Louisiana State Guidance
New Jersey Updates
- USDA Approvals for New JerseyOn September 14, 2021, USDA approved amended requests from New Jersey to allow SNAP households in Morris County to purchase hot prepared foods and have extra time to seek replacement benefits.On September 11, 2021, USDA approved New Jersey’s amended requests to allow SNAP households in four counties hard hit by Hurricane Ida to use SNAP benefits to purchase hot prepared foods and to extend the time for SNAP households to see replacement benefits.
- USDA Approvals for PennsylvaniaOn September 16, 2021, USDA approved extra time for SNAP households in six Pennsylvania counties hit hard by Hurricane Ida to seek replacement benefits. https://www.fns.usda.gov/disaster/pennsylvania-disaster-nutrition-assistance