Legislative Action Center
TAKE ACTION as the Senate and House debate their farm bills:
Senate Farm Bill – S. 954
Contact your Senators and urge them to:
- Vote NO on amendments that would weaken SNAP. See amendments here…
Contact your Representatives and urge them to:
- Co-sponsor Rep. McGovern’s amendment to restore the SNAP cut.
- Vote ‘YES’ to Rep. McGovern’s amendment when it comes up to a vote on the House floor.
- Oppose any damaging amendments to SNAP.
- Contact Keith Stern in Rep. McGovern’s office (email@example.com) to co-sponsor H. Res. 90 (pdf), a resolution opposing cuts to SNAP. View list of cosponsors, McGovern’s Dear Colleague letter (pdf).
ON THE HILL…
Senate defeats two amendments that would weaken SNAP during farm bill debate. Inhofe Amdt #960 to block grant SNAP was defeated by a vote of 36-60. Roberts Amdt #948 to increase cuts to SNAP defeated by a vote of 40-58.
Senator Kirsten Gillibrand’s (D-NY) amendment restoring $4.1 billion/ten year to avoid “Heat and Eat” cut defeated by a 70-26 vote. More on the Heat and Eat cuts (pdf).
FRAC releases statement: SNAP Cuts in Agiculture Committee Versions of the Farm Bill.
FRAC News Digest Special Farm Bill edition highlights important editorial, news and blog coverage of SNAP and the Farm Bill in recent days.
125 Representatives co-sponsor McGovern (D-MA) resolution (pdf) against SNAP cuts; More than 100 national organizations send letter (pdf) urging Congress to support and protect SNAP.
About the FRAC Action Council
The FRAC Action Council is the 501(c)(4) arm of the Food Research and Action Center (FRAC).