FRAC has created a School Breakfast Scorecard Data Tool to analyze data for a state or local level report on the school breakfast participation. The Data Tool will automatically:
While we’ve tried to make the tool easy to use, it is important to know what data you need in order to begin. Each state is different, so working with state officials to get the data in a simple to use format may be a challenge.
Sample State reports
- School Breakfast Report Sample Format (pdf)
- Hunger Free Colorado School Breakfast Report (pdf)
- Connecticut School Breakfast Scorecard (pdf), End Hunger Connecticut!
- A Good Start for Learning: School Breakfast Participation in Florida (pdf), Florida Impact
- Reducing Childhood Hunger with the School Breakfast Program: Maryland’s Report Card 2012-2013 (pdf), Maryland Hunger Solutions
- Food for Thought: New Jersey School Breakfast Report (pdf), Advocates for Children of New Jersey
- Success Begins with School Breakfast: School Breakfast Program Participation in New York State Public Schools (pdf), Hunger Solutions New York
- Ohio School Breakfast Scorecard (pdf), Children’s Hunger Alliance
- Texas School Breakfast Report Card (pdf), Texas Hunger Initiative
A state or local report on breakfast participation among low-income students can be an effective tool for promoting expansion on the local level. Local reports compare school districts’ free and reduced-price breakfast and lunch participation, and calculate the federal dollars lost by not serving more low-income students. Advocates can use this report to identify which districts are effectively reaching low-income students with breakfast, and which are not.
FRAC publishes its annual School Breakfast Scorecard to document the current state of the program at the state and national level, as well as to promote successful initiatives to increase participation. By comparing school breakfast participation in the states as well as nationally, and by detailing progress on related school meals policy issues, the Scorecard is an effective tool for getting school breakfast to more children.